The US-China Business Council (USCBC, www.uschina.org) is seeking a full-time Associate for the Programs division. USCBC is a private, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization of over 270 American companies that do business with China. Founded in 1973, USCBC has provided unmatched information, advisory, advocacy, and program services to its membership for 49 years. Through its offices in Washington, DC; Beijing; and Shanghai, USCBC is uniquely positioned to serve its members' interests in the United States and China.
- Support the planning and execution of various USCBC meetings and special events, including issues briefings, annual conferences, fundraising gala, USCBC’s 50th Anniversary projects, and hosting of senior US and Chinese officials
- Assist with planning, hosting, and post-event components of hybrid, virtual and in-person briefings and events.
- Support the research, planning and execution of a variety of initiatives to mark USCBC’s 50th Anniversary
- Assist in creation and maintenance of event-specific and annual budgets
- Conduct research for background information on speakers and visiting dignitaries, as well as on potential meeting venues, travel reservations, and program content
- Provide administrative support and perform other duties as determined by USCBC
Skills & Qualifications
- US permanent work authorization (US citizen or lawful permanent resident)
- Excellent written and spoken English, ability to speak Mandarin Chinese is a plus but not required
- Undergraduate degree required, and two-three years of work experience in an office setting
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity, and a proactive team member Flexibility, demonstrated eagerness for innovative problem-solving, and ability to manage multiple tasks
- Flexibility, demonstrated eagerness for innovative problem-solving, and ability to manage multiple tasks
- Successful candidate must be able to work some days in-person at our DC office and be able to immediately transition to working in-person on a full-time basis if our hybrid work model were to change in the future
- Preference will be given to candidates with work experience in meeting and event planning, including past volunteer work with non- and for-profit organizations, campaigns, university activities, or past employment in the hospitality industry. Commitment to outstanding customer service is a must.
- Applicants must demonstrate organization abilities and the skill to manage multiple tasks with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail, often on tight deadlines
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office (particularly Excel), association database or event planning software, and online research.
- Familiarity with the following software a plus: data analytics, CRM, design (Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, etc.).
- Energy, enthusiasm and decorum for communicating with guests during planning and execution of events
The US-China Business Council is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Application Deadline: August 31, 2022
Preferred Start Date: Mid-late September 2022
Salary: Salary will be competitive for non-profit organizations and commensurate with experience.
To apply: Please submit the following materials to Andrew Barr, Director, Finance & Administration at [email protected].
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position + Desired salary range
- One page of one of the following
- Detailed steps to prepare the virtual component of a hybrid event (preferred)
- Event timeline
- Event agenda
- Post event report
- Contact information for three (3) references
Applicants should submit all materials. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No telephone calls please.