The US-China Business Council (USCBC) seeks a communications and publications director for a full-time position reporting to the president. USCBC is a private, nonprofit, membership association that represents over 200 American companies that do business with China, with the goal of enhancing US-China commercial relations.
The communications and publications director is responsible for developing and executing a global communications strategy that delivers targeted messaging, e-newsletters, reports, issue briefs, commentary, and a digital magazine to USCBC's membership and varied stakeholders utilizing media tools.
Media engagement and public relations will comprise a portion of this activity. In addition, the director will focus on developing and implementing a consistent and comprehensive communications and publications strategy that maximizes USCBC's content and expertise, and provides timely information.
This role will be responsible for managing and hiring staff and administering budget responsibilities.
The ideal candidate will have a knowledge of China, Chinese language skills, familiarity with Chinese media and come from a media, political, corporate, government, consulting, or not-for-profit background. He/she will have a minimum of 8-10 years of communications leadership and experience, with well-established relationships with media organizations and thought leaders. The successful candidate will be creative, ambitious, and persistent, while at the same time understanding the importance of working collaboratively with other departments in USCBC's three offices in the United States and China. Exposure to China or international trade issues is a plus.
- Develop and implement an effective communications and publications strategy, working closely with the president and other senior staff in USCBC’s offices in Washington, Beijing, and Shanghai
- Amplify USCBC's expertise and core services to communicate the organization’s essential value to a diverse array of audiences
- Oversee USCBC’s content delivery vehicles, including websites, email publications, press releases, reports, and other communication products
- Develop and implement high-level communications and public awareness strategies, as well as marketing and public policy initiatives, utilizing conventional and new media platforms
- Identify and develop strategic placement opportunities to present USCBC's expertise towards influencing ongoing dialogue on issues important to USCBC members and US-China commercial relations
- Engage in proactive press outreach planning and execution, including o press briefings/media attendance at events
- Respond to media calls and requests
- Coordinate with membership on communications and media issues related to trade with China
- Create written products reflecting USCBC’s leadership and expertise in speeches, op-eds, and marketing materials
- Act as an internal strategist and consultant to other staff and departments, advising them on how to best communicate USCBC’s messaging on key initiatives while ensuring that all departments’ communications align with USCBC's strategic vision
- Manage assigned staff and resources and perform other duties as assigned
- Manage outside resources, such as website, IT, media, and digital consultants
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Relevant experience in communications, as a member of the media, or in public relations, public affairs, or the public or private sectors
- Passion for developing and executing effective communications and publications strategies
- Experience with print, digital, and other communications tools and various content delivery channels and methods
- Experience with grassroots public relations is a plus, but not required
- Experience with China and trade issues is a plus, but not required
- Chinese language skills are a plus, but are not required
- Bachelor's degree
- 8-10 years of communications leadership and experience
- US permanent work authorization (US citizen or lawful permanent resident)
The position is full-time and available immediately. Starting salary is competitive. Benefits include three weeks annual leave in the first year of service, health insurance on a shared-cost basis, SEP-IRA after one year of service, eligibility for annual performance bonus, and a stimulating work environment.
Send resume, cover letter, brief writing sample, salary expectations, and contact information for three references to [email protected]
NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE!