The US-China Business Council (USCBC) is a private, non-profit organization of more than 240 American companies that do business with China. Founded in 1973 following the first formal exchanges between the United States and China by a group of interested companies, USCBC’s mission is to expand the US-China commercial relationship to the benefit of its membership, and more broadly, the US economy. Through close collaboration between offices in Washington, DC, Beijing, and Shanghai, USCBC provides extensive China-focused information, advisory, and advocacy services, along with events, to its multinational member companies.
USCBC’s Shanghai office seeks to hire a Manager of Office Administration and Business Advisory Services, reporting to the Shanghai Chief Representative.
- Manage USCBC events in Shanghai, including venue confirmation, speaker outreach, attendee management, and event execution;
- Manage various administrative licensing and legal requirements including foreign NGO filings, expatriate visa application and renewal;
- Assist in major USCBC activities, including the annual China Operations conference, business delegations to conferences, events with visiting high-level Chinese or US government officials, as well as provincial delegation trips.
- Coordinate with Fesco on office accounting, financial reporting, and submission of monthly receipts;
- Manage key external vendors, liaise with building facilities, and purchase office supplies;
- Assist in research and analysis of China-related commercial policy, including responses to individual member company requests for information on business and trade topics, and contributions to publications, such as China Market Intelligence;
- Proactively build and maintain contacts within USCBC member companies;
- Represent USCBC at conferences and external events, as necessary;
- Proactively assist with new member recruitment and retention;
- Coordinate intern hiring, scheduling, and daily assignments;
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Shanghai Chief Representative;
- Ability to take initiative, operate independently, and handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines;
- High degree of personal responsibility and integrity; dedication to quality, attention to details;
- Bachelor’s degree in English, economics, policy, finance, law, international relations, or business-related field, an advanced degree is advantageous;
- Native Chinese speaker with excellent fluency in oral and written English;
- Familiarity with China business accounting and licensing procedures
- Familiarity with PRC government structure and policy making, and an understanding of and ability to communicate the basic dynamics of the US-China trade relationship
- Strong research, analytical, and communication skills
- Cooperative attitude, sense of humor, and ability to thrive in small but congenial intercultural team environment;
- Candidates with two years of work experience will be more competitive.
Start Date: Mid July
Application Deadline: Sunday, June 20
To apply, please submit the following materials to Melinda Xu ([email protected])
- An English resume and cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications for the position;
- An English writing sample of no more than 3 pages;
- Contact information for 3 professional references;
Salary will be competitive for non-profit organizations and commensurate with experience. For background on USCBC, see www.uschina.org.
No telephone calls please