The US-China Business Council (USCBC) is a private, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization of over 200 American companies that do business with China. USCBC is seeking a part-time intern for its Programs division. All internship work will be performed remotely while USCBC's Washington, DC office is closed and in-person once the Washington, DC office reopens. Candidates must reside in the DC area.
The Programs intern works directly under the supervision of the vice president and manager of the Programs department to assist in preparing and executing various USCBC meetings and special events, including semi-monthly briefings, annual conferences, a gala fundraiser, and special events hosting ranking US and PRC government officials. In recent years, guests of honor at events hosted or co-hosted by USCBC have included heads of state, senior officials, and high-level diplomats. All events are being held virtually until in-person programming resumes.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Participate in strategic planning and implementation of event logistics such as pre-event prep, registration procedures, security, protocol and post-event wrap-up.
- Track and draft reports on member-outreach, event participation, and underwriting of selected events, including annual Gala fundraiser.
- Update benchmark studies on membership dues and fundraising structure packages by other organizations.
- Provide administrative support in preparation for events, archival and inventory.
- Other programmatic and administrative duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications
- Candidates are strongly preferred to work 20 hours per week and make a 12-month commitment from the start date. Summer hours can be full-time, but academic-year (August - May) hours will be part-time.
- Candidates must have computer access to work remotely at start of internship. The successful candidate must be able to immediately transition to working in-person at our DC office when it reopens.
- Preference will be given to candidates with work experience in meeting and event planning, including past volunteer work with non- and for-profit organizations, campaigns, university activities, or past employment in the hospitality industry. Commitment to outstanding customer service is a must.
- Applicants must demonstrate organization abilities and the skill to manage multiple tasks with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office (particularly Excel), association database or event planning software, and online research.
- Familiarity with data analytics a plus.
- Demonstrated eagerness for innovative problem-solving and a proactive team member.
- Initiative, flexibility and ability to prioritize tasks.
Application Deadline: Monday, March 8, 2021 Preferred Start Date: Early April, 2021
Salary: This internship is an hourly paid position.
To apply, please submit the following materials to USCBC's Programs Department at [email protected]. Please reference “Programs Internship” in the subject line of your email. No phone calls, please!
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the internship (indicate availability in terms of dates and hours/week)
- Brief writing sample (2-5 pages) such as an event agenda, event planning timeline, or post-event report OR data analysis report.
- Contact information for three references
- If applicant is not a US citizen, please specify visa type.
Applicants must submit all materials in the same email. Incomplete applications will not be considered.