The US-China Business Council’s (USCBC) Shanghai office is seeking a Research Intern.
USCBC is a private, nonprofit, nonpartisan, membership association for US corporations engaged in business with the People's Republic of China. Founded in 1973, USCBC provides its members with research and information services; holds meetings and conferences on a wide range of business topics; publishes the leading US e-magazine on China trade, the China Business Review; and takes an active role on US policy issues relating to China and international trade.
Interns at USCBC’s Shanghai office are expected to assume a wide range of responsibilities.
- Researching and analyzing China-related business issues using primarily Chinese-language sources to provide updates and reports in English to full-time staff
- Aiding with written translations of internal and external materials between Chinese and English
- Assist in organizing and running USCBC events, including issues luncheons, ad-hoc roundtables of senior executives, and the annual China Operations Conference
- Assist full-time staff with administrative tasks such as answering phone calls, arranging express delivery, and other duties
Competitive candidates should have the following qualifications and characteristics:
- Strong, demonstrated research and analytical experience using Chinese-language sources
- Excellent written and spoken Chinese (Mandarin)
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Knowledge and interest in US-China economic and commercial issues, as well as a basic understanding of international economics and business terminology
- Experience in understanding PRC political and economic systems
- Ability to work on multiple tasks at a time, and to work well among a small team in a fast-paced work environment
- Commitment to a minimum of 20 hours per week for a minimum of six months; preference will be given to candidates who can commit to a longer period of time
- Applicants without PRC permanent residence or citizenship status must have or be able to obtain a valid student visa with the option to intern
- Cover letter (indicate availability in terms of dates per week)
- Contact information for three references
- Brief English-language writing sample (2-5 pages)
Deadline for submission: rolling basis
Note: We recommend submitting your application as soon as possible, as we are reviewing applications and conducting interviews on a rolling basis.
Please reference "USCBC Shanghai Internship" in the subject line of your e-mail.
NO CALLS PLEASE.