The US-China Business Council (USCBC, www.uschina.org) is seeking a full-time Senior Manager or Director for the Programs and Administration departments for the Washington DC office. USCBC is a private, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization of over 270 American companies that do business with China. Founded in 1973, USCBC has provided unmatched information, advisory, advocacy, and program services to its membership for 49 years. Through its offices in Washington, DC; Beijing; and Shanghai, USCBC is uniquely positioned to serve its members' interests in the United States and China.
- Work with the vice president of Programs and the senior vice president in charge of the DC office on the planning and execution of various USCBC meetings and special events, including issues briefings, annual conferences, fundraising gala, USCBC’s 50th Anniversary projects, and hosting of senior US and Chinese officials
- Work directly under the supervision of the senior vice president to assist with various special projects
- Assist with planning, hosting, and post-event components of hybrid, virtual and in-person briefings and events
- Support the research, planning and execution of a variety of initiatives to mark USCBC’s 50th Anniversary
- Assist in creation and maintenance of event-specific and annual budgets
- Conduct research for background information on speakers and visiting dignitaries, as well as on potential meeting venues, travel reservations, and program content
- Manage and foster growth in Programs staff
Skills & Qualifications
- US permanent work authorization (US citizen or lawful permanent resident)
- Excellent written and spoken English, ability to speak Mandarin Chinese is a plus but not required
- Minimum education: Bachelor’s degree; graduate degree is a plus
- Five to ten years of experience in events management and some experience managing events/programs staff
- Proven ability to conceptualize, plan, manage and execute events of varying size, scope, objective, and topic
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity, and a proactive team member
- Flexibility, demonstrated eagerness for innovative problem-solving, and ability to manage multiple tasks
- Successful candidate must be able to work some days in-person at our DC office and be able to immediately transition to working in-person on a full-time basis if our hybrid work model were to change in the future
- Preference will be given to candidates with work experience in association or other nonprofit organizations. Commitment to outstanding customer service is a must.
- Applicants must demonstrate strong organizational abilities and the skill to manage staff and multiple tasks with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail, often on tight deadlines
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office (particularly Excel), association database or event planning software, and online research
- Familiarity with the following software a plus: data analytics, CRM, design (Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, etc.).
- Energy, enthusiasm, and decorum for communicating with guests during planning and execution of events
The US-China Business Council is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Application Deadline: August 31, 2022
Preferred Start Date: Mid-late September 2022
Salary: Salary will be competitive for non-profit organizations and commensurate with experience.
To apply: Please submit the following materials to Andrew Barr, Director, Finance & Administration at [email protected]:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position + Desired salary range
- One page of two of the following
- Detailed steps to prepare the virtual component of a hybrid event
- Event timeline
- Fundraising strategic plan (preferred)
- Post event report
- Contact information for three (3) references
Applicants should submit all materials. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No telephone calls please.