Member News Update

August 9th, 2018
By Angela Deng

In response to the US announcement on Tuesday that 25 percent tariffs on the finalized list of $16 billion of Chinese imports will go into effect on August 23, China today decided to impose the same tariff rate on an equal dollar amount of US imports. China’s retaliatory tariffs will also go into effect on August 23. In a statement released after the Office of the US Trade Representative (USTR) announcement, China’s Ministry of Commerce called the US tariffs “very unreasonable” and said that...

August 7th, 2018
By USCBC Staff

After a globe-spanning career taking him from Beijing to Seattle and from Japan to South Africa, Craig Allen is shifting gears. With a venerable career in public service behind him, he is now set to lead the US-China Business Council, a private, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization of approximately 200 American companies that do business in China.

Craig started his career in the International Trade Administration (ITA) of the Commerce Department, first as a Presidential Management...

August 6th, 2018
By USCBC Staff

In response to the Trump administration’s announcement yesterday that they would increase planned tariffs on $200 billion in Chinese imports from 10 percent to 25 percent, China has threatened new tariffs on $60 billion in US products. The tariffs cover 5,207 different US products, and will be assessed at four different rates ranging from 5 to 25 percent.
 
In a statement released last night, China’s Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM) said that “this kind of extreme pressure and...

July 11th, 2018
By USCBC Staff

The trade battle between the United States and China escalated late Tuesday with the announcement by the Office of the US Trade Representative of its plans to move forward with a 10 percent tariff on an additional $200 billion worth of Chinese imports. The list, open for public comment until mid-August, would be in addition to tariffs that have begun to be implemented on $50 billion in Chinese imports. Unless negotiations resolve the issues or delay implementation, tariffs on $250 billion in...

June 4th, 2018
By USCBC Staff

US Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross concluded his visit to Beijing and meetings with Vice Premier Liu He this weekend without the two sides releasing a joint statement of outcomes. US-China Business Council sources say the talks mainly focused on increasing US exports of agriculture and energy products, with issues such as technology protection and investment access raised but not discussed in depth.

The US government may issue more details on the talks and next...

May 29th, 2018
By USCBC Staff

Despite a statement from Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin one week ago that “the trade war is on hold,” the White House today issued further threats about possible tariffs and investment restrictions against China that could go into effect this summer. The announcement appears to be the latest attempt to gain leverage in talks with China to address various trade issues.

The White House announcement reiterated a possible 25 percent tariff on $50 billion of Chinese imports and...

May 21st, 2018
By USCBC Staff

The US and China over the weekend put tariffs on hold, but an agreement on broader trade tensions has not been reached and tariffs cannot be dismissed in the future, given continuing differences within the Trump administration on China trade policy.

Last week’s discussions focused primarily on reducing the US trade deficit with China, not on more structural issues such as market access barriers and level playing field concerns, or on China’s inadequate protection of intellectual...

May 16th, 2018
By USCBC Staff

Chinese Vice Premier Liu He’s official meetings in Washington are expected to wrap up today, following a high-profile meeting with President Trump on Thursday. While no official outcomes have yet been announced, the China’s Ministry of Commerce today terminated its anti-dumping and anti-subsidy investigations into US sorghum exports, after earlier this week taking positive steps on reviews of two US-related acquisitions.
 
USCBC will report on outcomes of the trade talks when...

May 14th, 2018
By USCBC Staff

The US and China over the weekend put tariffs on hold, but an agreement on broader trade tensions has not been reached and tariffs cannot be dismissed in the future, given continuing differences within the Trump administration on China trade policy.

Last week’s discussions focused primarily on reducing the US trade deficit with China, not on more structural issues such as market access barriers and level playing field concerns, or on China’s inadequate protection of intellectual...